Holiday Giving Guide
It’s getting to be that time of the year – time for annual appeals, holiday donations and end-of-year giving to your favorite charities. But which of the great, deserving charities do you support? Like most people, you probably need to make some choices.
Committed to representing the perspective and protecting the interests of our nonprofit clients, AMS Nonprofit Practice Director Leigh Tucker joined the Charity Navigator Advisory Board last year. (Charity Navigator is one the nation's largest and most-utilized evaluators of charities.)
Leigh participated in a recent roundtable on what donors can do to gauge the effectiveness and results of charities. Check out the article (and advice from the other experts too!) Meanwhile, here’s a quick overview of Leigh’s advice as you ponder your own holiday giving:
- Visit the organization’s website to review its success stories.
- See what external sources reflect about the organization and its programs.
- Check out the organization’s latest 990 form and the prior year’s.
- Look for multi-year relationships with funding sources.
- And lastly, don’t be afraid to contact the organization directly and talk with them about their mission and how your donations are put to work. Most nonprofits welcome the opportunity to talk with their donors about how funds are utilized.